Linda Sue Shiraishi
City/State: Kaunakakai, Hawaii
School/Organization: Molokai Middle School
1) How has the CAS credential effected your professional growth?
I know the strategies that I have learned through the various trainings actually are effective through my personal experience with students with Autism.
2) What changes need to be made in your work environment?
It would be good to also have a Para Credential available for them.
3) What is your greatest challenge or roadblock?
I feel that many teachers and paraprofessionals work with students with Autism but few are specifically trained for them. It would be nice to enable the consistent implementation that training that is available on larger islands to also have it available my small island.
4) What makes you feel like a valuable contributor?
When I see a student responding positively due to the training I have received due to Certified Autism Specialist
5) What support, tools/resources, skills or empowerment do you need to be more effective?
I would like to see more trainings available at a low or no cost in my area. This way more would be able to be trained.
6) What strengths or talents do you possess that aren’t being used?
I really love the Applied Behavior Analysis approach but it is hard to implement it fully when more are not trained in this strategy.
7) What de-motivates you?
The lack of training of others involved with the students which affects the results of the specialized work with the students and consistency.