Shaneé Howell, MSW, CAS, ITFS
State/Country: North Carolina, USA
School/ Organizations: Applied Family Services – NC
1) How has earning the Certified Autism Specialist been meaningful and satisfying?
Earning the CAS credential has been extremely meaningful because of what it allows me to do for my clients. Because of the continuing education coursework that I have completed I have been able to guide families in the process of having their child evaluated, as well as being able to provide families with new tools learned in my continued studies.
2) How has the CAS credential affected your professional growth?
The CAS credential has given validity to my passion of working with individuals with Autism, and has allowed for me to grow, and even to have new positions created where I can best use my skill set.
3) How has your CAS credential been a benefit to your district/ organization/ or employer?
This credential has allowed for me to provide training to both parents and professionals who may not have been able to receive services otherwise.
4) How do you like to be recognized, acknowledged and rewarded for a job well done?
I feel most proud of my work when a family that I’ve been working with gets excited about progress and can see their own growth through all of the work we’ve done as a team. Their heartfelt “Thank-you” makes all of the hard work worth it!
5) What is your greatest challenge or roadblock?
My greatest challenge is in pulling professionals together to work as a team. I’ve found that if the professionals can check in with one another and ensure that each of the goals they are working on coincide with the others the child and family is much more successful!
6) What makes you feel like a valuable contributor?
I feel most like a valuable contributor when my advice is sought out, from both parents and professionals. Knowing that they find my knowledge helpful to them makes me feel valued.
7) What do you enjoy most about your job?
I love that I get to have a positive impact not only in a child’s life but in their family dynamic as well. Giving children and parents the skill set to grow to a place where they not only function, but enjoy being around one another, is what motivates me to continue this work!